Direct Burial or Immediate Burial
A direct burial is a burial without a visitation or a church/funeral home service. The direct burial includes the transfer of remains to the funeral home, staff services, securing of necessary authorizations, basic local transportation to the cemetery, and an alternative container for burial.
- An Alternative Container is the minimum form of a casket, usually a wooden or fiberboard box, without an interior lining.
- Most Cemeteries will require the use of an Outer Burial Container (more commonly referred to as a Burial Vault) which is an additional cost.
- Embalming is not required or included in a direct burial
A traditional burial is a burial preceded by a funeral service and/or visitation. The funeral service can take place at a church, the funeral home or at the gravesite. Calling Hours, Visitation or a Wake may be held day prior to or the same day as the service. The services of the funeral home usually associated with a traditional funeral are transfer of remains to the funeral home, staff services, securing of necessary authorizations, embalming, dressing of the body, casketing, cosmetology, use of the facilities, supervision for the calling hours and/ or the service, transportation to the cemetery.
- Embalming is not mandated by New York State law but is required by the funeral home for viewing of remains.
- The use of a casket is also required for burial.
- Most Cemeteries will require the use of an Outer Burial Container.
Out of Town Burials
- Receiving Remains
If a family member who is living out of town or dies abroad, we can handle the entirety of the funeral arrangements. If a death occurs out of the area, it is important that you call us before calling a local funeral home, so that we can assist you in avoiding additional charges.
- Forwarding Remains
There are times when a family lives in one area, but wishes to be buried in another. We can assist families to in returning their loved one to their desired final place of rest.
The Decker Funeral Home in Windham, NY serves the mountain top area with Care, Concern and Respect.
The funeral home is not only a business; it’s a family, the Gulino family.