Costs Associated with a Funeral or a Cremation
All costs associated with a funeral, whether it is a burial or a cremation will fall into one of two categories:
Funeral Home Charges
When considering the costs of a burial, you must consider the total cost. They may include:
- Transfer of Remains to the Funeral Home from the place of Death (New York State Law requires that this be done by a Licensed Funeral Director)
- Preparation of Remains (If selected) which is the embalming of the deceased.
- If embalming is not selected Topical Disinfection of the deceased may be required.
- Custodial Care may be charged for days that the body is being held and no other services are being provided. This fee must be disclosed and identified as a daily, weekly or one-time fee.
- Dressing, Casketing and Cosmetology
For most women a professional hair dresser will be used.
- Arrangement Fee is the cost associated with the availability to respond to initial request for service (24 hours a day, 365 days a year), the arrangement conference, securing of necessary authorizations, and coordination of service plans with parties involved in the final disposition of the deceased.
- Supervision for Funeral Service and/or the Visitation.
- Use of the Facilities for the Funeral Service and/or the Visitation.
- Hearse (usually required)
- Flower Car / Lead Car – Optional (usually encouraged)
- Limousines - Optional
- Casket (required)
- Vault (required by most cemeteries)
- Register Book - Optional
- Prayer Cards - Optional
- Thank You Cards - Optional
- Flowers – Optional
- Clothing – May be provided by Family or is Available for purchase
- Monument or Stone Inscription – Optional
- Cemetery Equipment Rental may be necessary if the cemetery does not have their own equipment. (Usually Rural Cemeteries)
- Forwarding or Receiving Remains if another funeral home is involved with a death or a burial outside of New York State.
A Cash Advance is used for any goods or services that the funeral home pays to a third-party on behalf of a family. Cash advance items may include such things as cemetery (opening and closing costs of a grave or the purchase of a new grave) or crematory fee, pallbearers, public transportation, clergy honoraria, musicians, singers, death notices, gratuities, and death certificates.
The Decker Funeral Home in Windham, NY serves the mountain top area with Care, Concern and Respect.
The funeral home is not only a business; it’s a family, the Gulino family.